Glenorchy’s only church, in Argyle St beside the old Library, is often referred to as the Mission Hall. The name is a reflection of its origins when it was built in 1889 by the Valpy family on their Rees Valley property for the use of the Head of The Lake inhabitants.
In the 1950′s the church was moved to the present site in the Glenorchy village to be under the care of members of the local community. This little church has never been owned by any denomination so has always relied on the efforts of concerned locals for its upkeep. In 2009/10 a major restoration was undertaken to ensure the survival of the building as a spiritual base for locals and visitors.
Read a couple of ODT articles about the GY Church restoration here and here.
The building, available for the use of any faiths, is administered by the Head of The Lake Community Church Trust.
Services are held twice a month. On the second Sunday at 11:30 am there is a Catholic Mass. On the fourth Sunday at 3pm a Protestant service is held, led alternately by Anglican and Presbyterian ministers.
Services are open to everyone regardless of denominational affiliation. A warm welcome is assured.
The church is available for those wanting an intimate setting for special events such as weddings, baptisms or vow renewals.
Contact: Rosie Ferris - email@example.com, Phone:- 021-800151
Halcyon Speight - firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone:- 027-4585648