Dart River Funyaks
Funyak is an amazing journey deep into the heart of the world-renowned Mt Aspiring National Park.
Get up-close with nature with a gentle paddle on crystal clear waters. Combine wilderness jet boating with unique ‘Funyak’ inflatable canoes for a fun way to explore the Dart River as well as hidden side streams, rock pools and dramatic chasms. Enjoy the peace and tranquillity of this stunning area at your own pace as you float downstream on sparkling water, then enjoy a sumptuous buffet lunch before heading past ‘Paradise’ and on to Glenorchy.
The trip that has everything – a unique, fun journey combining nature with adventure
- Sit back, relax and enjoy the fantastic lakeside scenery on our complimentary courtesy bus to Glenorchy with an entertaining narrative from your local driver describing Lake Wakatipu and its legends.
The spectacular 46km drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy is one of the world’s Top 10 scenic drives
- Enjoy an hour of highspeed wilderness jet boating through the clear waters of the Dart River into the Te Waipounamu World Heritage Area and your Funyak launch site
- Professional, friendly guides take you on an inspiring adventure as you gently drift in your own Funyak
- Take your time and find those ‘special spots’ where flora, fauna and the power of nature combine to create magic
- Stop along the way and enjoy a sumptuous buffet lunch
- Learn about the Pounamu (Greenstone) that made the Dart River a key trading route for early Maori
- Travel a backcountry route to Glenorchy and immerse yourself in scenes and backdrops from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies
FUNYAK TRIP INFO
If you require transport our courtesy shuttle departs the Queenstown Information Centre at 7:30am.
For pick-ups and drop offs on our scheduled circuit, ask at reception or local booking agent for locations and times. Return to Queenstown approx. 4.30pm.
If driving, allow at least an hour from Queenstown to Glenorchy to include photo stops. FunYak trips check in daily at 8.30am at the Dart Visitor Centre, Glenorchy
and are 7 hours in duration.
Life jackets are mandatory and supplied along with spray jackets, wetsuits & booties and fleece tops.
Summer – Sunglasses, sun hat, insect repellent, camera sunscreen and warm outer layer recommended.
Winter – Wear thermals including woollen socks, warm clothing, hat, gloves, windproof jacket, sunglasses, insect repellent & camera.
Bring swimwear and towel year round.
No experience required. Children must be a minimum of 5 years of age and a metre in height.
Dart River Funyaks is a soft adventure in New Zealand's spectacular high country. All clothing, equipment and safety instructions are provided, along with dry bags and secure storage for personal belongings. A buffet-style wilderness picnic lunch is included.
Please remember the Funyaks essentials
- Wetsuit and all equipment is provided, but please bring a swimsuit or spare underwear plus a lightweight wool or polypropylene vest (not cotton) to wear underneath. In Winter you will also need, thermal underwear, gloves and a warm hat.
- You will need sunglasses, sunhat, sunscreen and insect repellent - (all of these are available at our shop in Glenorchy, so don't worry if you forget them)
- Cash for optional extras, such as photographs, films, chocolate bars and drinks. The area is very scenic and cameras are encouraged. Waterproof cameras are available for purchase. Dry-bags are provided, however cameras are carried at customers risk.